10 January 2009

in solitude

Tonight I write a poem for the lonely
for I am one – trapped in a cozy room
where the
only light emanates from a
dying lamp;
I hear the sound of silence:
it is deafening.
But it reminds me I am alive,
for
in this unholy hour past midnight, nothing lives
except me. The moon and the stars shine

brightly at the dark sky, they would not confess,
but loneliness
overpowers their being. Like me.
As we
live distance apart a single touch is
impossible.
I want to shout to arouse the stillness
but I recognize the futility, no one will be awaken

except enemies. In this time, I am alone;
my mind though kept wandering, traveling
through time – past, present, future.
Yesterday
I had the company of loving beings,

this minute I exist in solitude; will tomorrow
be the same, I ask.
No one is certain, but me.
If
I persist, paradise is a hand away.
So tonight I end this solitude,
tomorrow I will sow company.

5 comments:

Dagang Tinubuan said...

ok baga ni jeff.

Jeff said...

salamat! mga practice poems ko lang. hehe, gusto ko mga contemporary poems, freestyle lang without rhymes but with melody.

ika, ano nangyari sa literary juices, napalitan na yata ng journalism. would be glad to read your poems.

Maria Fe said...

Jepoy, suggestion lang. PLEASE REVIEW THE RHYTHM of IN SOLITUDE. Binasa ko s'ya ng mahina at malakas, hindi ako naging komportable. It is a good poem but the first and second lines are 'overused introduction'. May mga nabasa na kasi akong poem na ganito ang simula.Correct me if am wrong. Salamat sa comment sa A Shell. Magaling ka!

Jeff said...

maf, salamat sa suggestions. hehe, the first two lines were intended to be unoriginal lines. it was a style borrowed from pablo neruda's, kakabasa ko lang kang poems nya.

di pa talaga 'to polished, crooked pa ang rhythm and you're right, uncomfortable din ako sa flow. there are some unintentional shifts from poetry to narrative style. edit ko n lang later.

but i do hope you understood the content which i want to express to the readers.

tnx ulit.

Jeff said...

medyo edited na 'to. hehe, pero di ko maperfect.